Our Project and What You Can Do to Help!
WHO: Aggie, Katie, Katya and Tess, Cadettes in Girl Scout Troop 70452 in San Luis Obispo. We all attend Laguna Middle School. Go Lancers!
WHAT: Our Girl Scout Silver Award Project, EVERYBODY READS-SLO
We have organized a book drive to:
- Collect new and gently used books for less fortunate kids ages 8-17
- Gather donations of Barnes & Noble or Amazon gift cards in amounts of $25 or under, so that we can purchase new books for our recipients, in addition to the books that we collect
- Recipients are Liz and Dan Krieger’s “Casa de Children’s Books,” and the San Luis Obispo Library’s Teen Room.
- Liz and Dan donate books to elementary school kids and teens from San Ardo to Guadalupe; host book and pizza parties at their home where kids get to choose free books to take home; and visit schools to read to kids and get them excited about the world of books!
- The San Luis Obispo Library has a special area set aside for teens to hang out, read, and do activities. We want to help add to their teen book collection so that they can get more of the really popular titles.
- You can find lists of requested titles to use as shopping lists on the Requested Books page, but ANY new, or gently used, books are welcomed!
WHEN: March 1-31, 2019
WHERE: All of the money and books will stay here and be used by kids on the Central Coast. The green bins to collect books were provided by our friends at Miner’s Hardware, and you can find them at these schools and businesses in San Luis Obispo:
- C.L. Smith Elementary Library
- Bishop’s Peak Elementary Library
- Teach Elementary Library
- Los Ranchos Elementary Library
- Pacheco Elementary Library
- Hawthorne Elementary Library
- Sinsheimer Elementary Library
- Old Mission School
- Laguna Middle School Library
- Cannon – 1050 Southwood Drive
- Transitions-Mental Health Association – 784 High Street
- Rabobank – 2276 Broad Street and 75 Santa Rosa Street
- Paul’s Dry Cleaners & Laundry – 214 Higuera Street
WHY: We are working to earn our Girl Scout Silver Award, which is the highest award a Cadette can earn. And we each love to read and want to make sure other kids have great books of their own!!
For our project we are collecting books for less fortunate kids. Books are crucial to this society and to getting a good education, but some people can’t afford good books. To do this we have partnered with Liz and Dan Krieger, and Leslie Weaver, Teen/Youth Services Librarian, SLO Library and we need your help.
HOW YOU CAN HELP: You can help by sharing popular book titles with us or donating books to this cause (in pretty good condition). We are looking for books that kids, ages 10 to 18 will enjoy. Or, you can arrange to donate a gift card by sending an email to email@example.com. Our goal is to collect at least 200 books, but we hope to get a lot more!
Please, donate today. In the words of Liz Krieger, “we want kids to grow their own libraries.” Thank you!
MORE ABOUT THE GIRL SCOUT SILVER AWARD: We will each put in at least 50 hours on our Silver Award Project. In order to earn the Silver Award, we focused on something we cared about, we are working together as a team to plan and carry out the project, and when we are done, we will share what we have learned with other Girl Scouts and our community. The Silver Award project needs to improve our community and be sustainable.
IF YOU NEED MORE INFO OR WANT TO DONATE A GIFT CARD: E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org